Monday 17 March 2014

Year A - Third Sunday of Lent

Third Sunday of Lent - Year A

Exodus 17, 3-7
Psalm 94
Romans 5, 1 ... 8
John 4, 5-42


To go further

Details

- The rabbit makes multiple efforts :
  • he's climbing (the mountains in the background accentuate the climb)
  • he's carrying something heavy (and quite useless because his jug seems to be 99% empty
- Where God is (we can see his hand) there is no need for water because everything is green, nature is luxuriant
- But between what Jesus says and what we understand, there is sometimes a big difference, for instance when he talks to Francis of Assisi asking him to rebuild his Church. Francis goes to get his tools and works with his hands to rebuild the chapel although the Lord is talking about his Church (the people that it is made of). It's obvious that had he had a fax machine, he wouldn't have made a mistake thanks to the spelling ...

Questions

- Here, Jesus is asking for a drink, he's thirsty to be loved, to be loved for what he is, him the creator of love.
- He's thirsty for my presence, not for my jug. When I'm invited, it's not the flowers, the bottle or the chocolates that I offer which will be at the centre of the evening, it's my presence in front of the other one.
- I can make considerable efforts and realise that they were misplaced. What I think I can hear God say "rebuild my Church" can use up all my energy and close my ears. It's only once I will have accomplished what I thought was God's work (but in fact, it was rather my idea) that I will finally be available to open my ears. But how difficult it is to let go of our idea ...
- What about me ? What is the idea (or the project) which I wouldn't want to let go of ? Something or someone which I care for and that I wouldn't want the Lord to get involved into ? (what image do I have of him if I think that way ?)

Mind your back, that is a real question of Lent !

No comments:

Post a Comment