Monday 4 January 2016

Year C - First Sunday of Ordinary Time - The Baptism of Christ

First Sunday of Ordinary Time - Year C
Isaiah 42.1-7
Psalm 28
Luke 3,15-22


To go further
Details

- John the baptist is baptising with water and Jesus is in the the Holy Spirit and in fire. This image shows a modern baptism. To the right, we see the priest welcoming the child with open arms, as Jesus did. The child is very receptive.
- The child is carried by his Godmother, for whom, her outfit may count for more than the baptism itself.
- The Godfather hold a fire extinguisher, in the event that a fire starts at the baptism. This is proof that he has heard the Word but has not understood.
- If we look closely, the cartoon is imbalanced between the exterior and the interior. The Godfather and Godmother show a richness in their clothes and a poverty inside because they do not understand the signification of a baptism. The child and the priest are clothed simply but with beaming smiles because they know that it is THE most important moment in the life of a Christian. The young child does not know it completely, but he is ready to welcome it all the same.

Questions

- Do I remember the date of my baptism ? Do I celebrate it ? Is it more or less important than my birthday ? Why ?
Questions for Godmothers and Godfathers :
- Do I understand my responsibilities towards my Godchild ? (I must be a solid believer, capable and ready to help the newly baptised child or adult, on their Christian path). Now that I know it, what must I do to be a solid believer ? Am I capable of helping my Godchild in this way ? How can I help them grow up in Faith ?

No comments:

Post a Comment